Hot on the heels of securing its first rolling stock deal in February, Rock Rail has been successful in its bid to provide £600m worth of rolling stock for the East Anglia rail franchise.
The deal between train operating company Abellio East Anglia and Rock Rail will deliver new rolling stock for the Norwich to London InterCity route, the Stansted Express and for important regional services in East Anglia.
The 58 trains that make up the deal consist of 378 vehicles, with a combination of Intercity Electrical Multiple Units and Regional Bi-mode Multiple units. They will be the first trains supplied to the UK rail network by the renowned Swiss manufacturer, Stadler, who have an excellent reputation for quality and on time delivery throughout the world.
The trains are designed to provide a significantly enhanced passenger experience; transforming rail travel for the people of Norfolk and Suffolk and will provide increases in passenger capacity of up to 79% on key routes.
The trains’ features include:
- Intelligent climate-controlled air-conditioning
- Modern interiors
- Power points throughout
- Low floor design, allowing easier access to platform from the train
- The latest in passenger information systems with real-time information
- Full accessibility and compliance with disability legislation
- Reduced vibration and noise for passengers due to the BMUs’ diesel engines being situated in a separate vehicle
- Electronic on-train monitoring and diagnosis
- Environmentally friendly, including regenerative braking.
Mark Swindell, Founding Partner for Rock Rail, said:
“I am delighted that we are able to offer passengers and the UK government a more cost effective way of financing new trains in the UK market. This will enable Abellio to deliver a step change in the quality of passenger experience, in terms of better journey times, more capacity on key routes, and providing hybrids which are better for the environment than the old diesel trains they replace.”
For more information please click here or contact Mark Swindell on 07971 142109.