The awards event, held annually and organised by the Association of Community Rail Partnerships (ACoRP), took place on 4 October in Glasgow and was attended by industry and government representatives and community rail partnerships from across the country.
This year saw an exceptional range of innovative and inspiring community rail projects with over 180 entries across 14 award categories. Severnside Community Rail Partnership was triumphant on the night winning the top award ‘Outstanding Contribution to Community Rail’ for their far reaching programme of activities helping connect the railways in the west of England to the heart of the communities they serve.
Other category winners were:
- Involving Children and Young People – Conwy Valley Railway Partnership for Rail Safety Video;
- Involving Diverse Groups – Community Rail Lancashire for The Railway Confidence Programmes;
- Community Art Schemes – Permanent – Severnside Community Rail Partnership & Crimestoppers for The Fearless Four Seasons Mural;
- Community Art Schemes – Renewable & Smaller – Kent Community Rail Partnership, Bradfields Academy & British Transport Police Kent for British Transport Police Text Number Poster Campaign;
- Most Enhanced Station Buildings and Surroundings – Friends of Buxton Station for Heritage-friendly life-saving improvements;
- Small Projects Award – Under £500 – Friends of Ally Pally Station for Hop on a Train;
- Best Community Engagement Event – Community Rail Lancashire for Women Who Wander;
- Best Marketing or Communications Campaign – Poacher Line Community Rail Partnership for 100 years of aviation along the Poacher Line;
- Influencing Positive Change – Women in Community Rail for Women in Community Rail – ‘Achieving Change Together’;
- Photo Competition | “Community Rail in Action” – Marston Vale Community Rail Partnership for “Carefully does it! Face painting on the Santa Special;
- It’s Your Station – Friends of Glossop Station
- Outstanding Volunteer Contribution – Neil Williams, Chair of Friends of Glossop Station;
- ACoRP Award for Outstanding Contribution to Community Rail – Severnside Community Rail Partnership;
- ACoRP Lifetime Achievement Award – Chris Austin OBE.
Nick Watson, Commercial Director Rock Rail, attended the awards night and said:
“We are delighted to sponsor the Community Rail Awards and join all those involved in celebrating and congratulating the tremendous achievements of the many individuals, groups and organisations in benefiting their communities and local railways.
“Rock Rail is committed to helping build a better rail industry and so we are particularly pleased to be able to acknowledge the vital role of community rail groups in stimulating growth and shaping the UK rail industry to better serve communities across the country.
“Huge congratulations to all the winners and entrants for all their achievements and efforts.”
For more information on each of the category winners please click here.
To find out more about the Association of Community Rail Partnerships please click here.